Myth Busters: The Truth about Wrinkle Causes & Treatments
The worst thing about wrinkles is that furrowing your brow in consternation may be giving you the very wrinkles you’re trying to avoid. Adding to the confusion is an ever-growing list of products and treatments that claim to banish wrinkles for good.
Are all wrinkles the same? Which treatment is right for you? In this article, the skincare specialist dermatologists at Platinum Dermatology give you the facts about wrinkles and what you can do to get rid of deep and fine lines that are ageing your face.
Platinum Dermatology Explains The Real Reasons You Have Wrinkles
Wrinkles are caused by a combination of factors. Some of them you can control and some you can’t:
- Age – Over time, skin loses elasticity and becomes dry. Fat in the deeper layers of the skin also diminishes, leading to more prominent lines and crevices.
- Exposure to UV light – The sun is the primary cause of wrinkles. UV light breaks down elastin and collagen fibres, causing skin to sag and wrinkle.
- Smoking – Smoking accelerates the normal ageing process, possibly due to its effect on circulation.
- Repeated facial expressions – Every time you use a facial muscle to smile, frown, or squint, you create temporary fine lines and wrinkles. As ageing skin loses flexibility, it can’t spring back into place, and the wrinkles gradually become permanent grooves.
These factors translate into the formation of two types of wrinkles
- Dynamic Wrinkles – Present when you are using muscles
- Static Wrinkles – Present when your face is in repose
For some patients, surgery, such as a facelift, brow lift, or eye lift, may be the best approach to correcting static and dynamic facial wrinkles that are too pronounced to be helped by less invasive solutions. For others, the skincare specialists at Platinum Dermatology find that dermal fillers and muscle relaxing injections are ideal for dealing with early signs of facial ageing.
Busted! 4 Myths about Cosmetic Injectables & Wrinkles
Despite the popularity of cosmetic injectables for treating wrinkles, a lot of misconceptions remain regarding its safety and effectiveness. That’s a pity because through the years we’ve had extraordinary success with this approach to facial rejuvenation and hate the idea that a wrong impression may be keeping people from trying these face-saving treatments.
Here are some of the “zombie lies” that simply won’t die, no matter how many times we put a stake through their hearts:
- “I’ve heard that cosmetic injectables are dangerous, black market treatments” – Cosmetic injectables are effective in the hands of trained professionals such as the expert doctor injectors we have at our practice. Our medical-grade formulations are administered by true professionals who are skilled, trained, and highly experienced.
- “The results of cosmetic injectable treatments are unpredictable, and my face could end up looking frozen and unnatural” – The media loves to report on celebrity treatments gone wrong, but these are the exception, not the rule. Our accomplished doctor injectors know which products to recommend and how to administer them to achieve totally natural looking results.
- “I have a low tolerance for pain and this sounds like it really hurts.” – Most people consider this treatment uncomfortable, but not painful, perhaps a “2” on a scale of “10.” Most of the dermal fillers we use at Platinum Dermatology contain a local anaesthetic to minimise any discomfort.
- “I’m going to need to take time off from work for this” – Totally false! Most injectable treatments take under 30 minutes to complete. There may be some minor bruising, but any visual signs of the treatment can be covered with concealer. All our patients return to work and their daily routines immediately.
Get the Facts about Cosmetic Injectables for Facial Rejuvenation
Cosmetic injectables such as dermal fillers and muscle-relaxing injections represent just some of what we do to treat ageing skin at our dermatology practice in Ultimo. If you would like to know more about how our skincare specialists can help you rejuvenate your appearance, please contact Platinum Dermatology on 02 8014 6500 or use the contact form on this page to schedule an appointment.